The Society is Ballina Shire’s only organisation dedicated solely to protecting the natural environment and defending environmental values shire-wide.
“BES” was established in 1983 and is an autonomous Incorporated Association with community-wide membership open to all who support its Objectives and Rules.
It is not affiliated with any political party.
BES is managed by a Committee elected annually by Members and is a key player in environmental affairs affecting the Shire, the Region and the State of NSW.
BES is recognised and respected by both Local and State Governments.
It boasts a proud record of fighting major environmental battles affecting the Shire
and the Region. That fight continues unremittingly.
BES warmly welcomes individual membership by any resident of Ballina Shire. It also offers organisational membership to other Incorporated Associations that share its values and work to defend the environment.
Current Major Concerns of BES
- Ballina Shire Council Response to the Declared Climate Emergency
- Water Resource Management and prevention of Rous Water’s ecologically destructive dam
- Protection of our sensitive coastal environment and monitoring of Ballina Council’s Coastal Management Plan
- Advocating for immediate transition to renewables and decrease in the use of fossil fuels throughout the Ballina Shire
- Work to protect the shire’s natural environment and its special ecological sites and features
- Encourage native wildlife/habitat preservation
Elected office-bearers consist of: President, Vice- President, Secretary, Treasurer; Publicity Officer. Additional committee members are co-opted at the discretion of the Executive.
All members are welcome to attend and contribute to committee meetings in a non-voting capacity. Meetings are held monthly at 5.30pm, generally at the home of one of the Executive.
Working groups are formed to research and pre- pare positions on particular issues, then recommend and implement appropriate action. Members can be co-opted to sit on these groups and contribute their special talents, energy and expertise.